Normally I post about what my semester goals are and why I want to achieve them, but this time I can’t really think of any. I’m not really sure what I want out of this semester because I achieved pretty much all of my academic goals I set for myself last year. Maybe after I get back in the groove and feel this semester out a bit it will come to me. For now I have a blank canvas.
Been in the Pitts for the past five days and have been so busy doing fun, stressful, and interesting things. Tomorrow all of my roommates move in and Monday classes officially start. I have errands to run and faculty to see so it seems I’ll continue to have another busy week. I’ll post more details later. Good luck to everyone who starts classes and is moving in!
I can’t believe its almost here…my senior year of college (plus a summer semester, but hey I’m still a senior). So far it seems like it’s going to be a very busy year or at least a busy fall semester. If everything goes right I will have an internship, an undergrad apprenticeship and be an honors program mentor. I’m really looking forward to school and all the opportunities that lay ahead of me. Below is a brief description of everything I have going on for this school year.
- Honors Program Mentor – I applied to be a mentor at the end of spring 2012 semester and was accepted for this position. Every year the Honors Program accepts incoming freshmen students into the program and invites them to move into Point Park a week early to do activities and events with the programs mentors that consist of upper class man. Each Mentor gets a group of mentee’s that they will meet with during the school year. After moving in early, the freshmen and mentors attend an orientation dinner where they will finally meet each other. The next few days are full of activities and events that help the students get familiar with the school, the Honors Program, the city and give them an opportunity to meet people and make friends. So far I have been able to get a hold of a few of my mentee’s via Facebook and have talked to them a little. I’m really excited to meet them all and help them with whatever they need.
- Internship – Last school I worked with a non-profit group called Lending Hearts that works with children who have cancer. Lending Hearts hosts events and activities to provide cancer patients with recreational activities while being around peers who are going through the same thing. I developed a fundraiser for this group with the Honors Program for Valentine’s Day where we were able to raise $107 for Lending Hearts. Since then the president of Lending Hearts has become interested in working more with Point Park and plans on offering an internship for broadcasting, journalism and public relations students. I was notified right away about the internship and if all the paperwork goes through I should have landed the internship. I would be creating PSA’s about the program. I really hope that everything works out so I can get the spot. I have never had an internship before and it would greatly help me out.
- Apprenticeship – The School of Communications offers apprenticeships to students. I’m hoping to get accepted as a U-View apprentice so I could work with the TV station doing all sorts of video production work. The apprenticeship requires a minimum of 10 hours per week and you get paid $2000 for the year which can either go towards your tuition or be split up into paychecks. All I have to do is turn in my cover letter, resume, and a DVD with some of my work and wait to hear back from the school.
On top of those three things, I have to keep my GPA up, remain on deans list and I have to keep my job at Dunkin Donuts because I can’t afford not to work. I also have to apply to Point Park for my masters degree and work on getting a graduate apprenticeship. My hands are defiantly going to be full if I acquire the internship and apprenticeship, but I’m up for the challenge.
My dad signed off on the house this morning and handed over the keys to the new owner of the ranch house I called home for 15 years. The past month my life has been completely filled with moving out of the old house and getting the two new houses (moms house and dads house) ready to move into . I still can’t believe all of the stuff that my parent accumulated over the years and I don’t know how we managed to make it all fit into moms tiny attic and dads basement. It was very tedious and long week to get everything done. Now that we only have two houses to worry about I’m sure there will be a lot less stress.
For now on I will be living mainly with my mom in a three-story half double. It’s a very old house that was probably built-in the late 1800s or early 1900s. All the walls are curved and crooked and nothing is really level in the house. That’s something you can expect from old houses so it doesn’t really bother me. The neighborhood is nice and cozy, the only problem is the dog shelter across the street where the dogs bark constantly at you.
The kitchen hasn’t been redone at all. It still has the original wood cabinets. The newest thing in the room is the flower wallpaper and wood border along the bottom. The floor tiles are in pretty bad condition and are really filthy, nothing you can’t fix with some elbow grease though. Dad put new draws in because some of them were unusable and did a few other things to spruce it up a bit.
The dining room and living room were recently dry walled. Both rooms also have a new wood floors. I would say they are the nicest rooms in the house. They are really plain with just cream-colored paint on the walls. The dining room has a country/primitive wallpaper border around the top. It’s not really moms or my style, but the landlord put it up before we started renting.
My bedroom is fairly big in size. I now have a full-sized bed instead of twin and I got a new quilt from Target for it. None of the decor I had in my old bedroom goes with my new one so I have been on the hunt for new decorations and the like to put in my room. I got two framed pieces of art from Ollies Bargain Outlet for $5 a piece and a cute little bedside stand (I will post pictures later). I’m still looking for a tiny desk to sit my computer on and a table lamp for beside my bed.
The bathroom only has a tub in it, but the previous owners converted a closet into a shower room. Its kinda awkward and was not well constructed when we first started renting the house, but luckily my dad is really handy and redid most of the room and fixed the mistakes. Now it looks pretty good, just needs stained and decorated.Once its finished were decorating it uses teal and brown colors. Mom found some decorations that have silhouettes of birds on it so were adding that into the decor as well.
The attic is two tiny rooms. We are using one for storage and the other one we are converting into a walk-in closet. Unfortunately, there is no heat, air conditioning, or wall outlets on that floor. Its been a task to work around those problems, but we have been making it work so far. Once we get everything organized we are planning to decorate it. Were going for a vintage Paris theme, very fancy and elegant.
We still have boxes and crap everywhere. It going to take a few weeks to get settled in. We still need to hang things up on the walls and get the shower room done. I started taking before and during photos of the whole process and plan on posting those when the house is completely done. For now I will leave this post with a picture of my empty room at the old house and the initials Travis and I carved into the tree in the backyard the last night we had the house.
Dollhouse Enta Flatform $29.50 at dELiAs.com
It’s that time again to evaluate how well I did with the spring semester goals I set down for myself. Here they are…
Spring Semester Goals
- Bring Up My GPA – I would like to get a higher GPA for this semester. Looks like I have a lot of hard work ahead of me. FAILED! I had a 3.55 GPA for fall 2011 but a 3.50 GPA for spring. I didn’t make my goal, but I cant really complain with making Deans list again.
- Publish At Least Five Articles – I hope to have at least five articles published in the school newspaper by the end of the semester. FAILED! I only had two articles published during spring semester.
- Make a Friend – I have acquaintances here, but no one I hang out with regularly or are on a personal level with. Now that I have met people I hope I can increase relationships and begin a good friendship. COMPLETED! I met a lot of really great people this past semester and started going out and doing things with people. This led me to having a great roommates next year that I can get along with.
- Make Exercise Apart of Daily Life – I never considered exercising a daily task ever in my entire life. But to lose the weight I have gained and become a healthier person overall, I would like to see myself go to the gym at least three times a week and not see it as a chore, but as something I can enjoy. FAILED! This was defiantly the hardest goal to complete seeing how I view going to the gym as a chore. I only went to the gym maybe five times last semester. I really suck at trying to like working out. Better luck next time!
- Be More Involved – College offers a lot of great events and opportunities for students. Taking advantage of that while I can will be time well spent. COMPLETED! I used the Honors Program at Point Park to my advantage and organized a fundraiser for Lending Hearts, an organization that provides children with cancer recreational and peer building activities. Next semester I am going to be an honors mentor which means I move into school early and mentor a group of freshmen honors students.
- Make Blogging a Habit – Last semester this blog kind of went downhill and I didn’t keep up with it. I plan on blogging at least twice a week to keep readers informed and interested. FAILED! I didn’t blog nearly as much as I did in spring semester as I did in fall, but my views went up a lot and I got more followers so it wasn’t a complete loss.
- Revamp My Personal Style – Something I have been working on and thinking on for awhile now. I want to get rid of the high school look and create a new mature and fashionable look for myself. I will post more on this later. WORK IN PROGRESS! I was able to go through most of my winter clothes and get rid of old ones and buy new ones, but now I’m doing the same thing for my summer clothes. I still need to stock up on more jewelery and accessories. I did buy a lot of new shows though!
I did a pretty terrible job at my goals this semester. It was a rough semester for me with everything that was going on in my life and going back to working full-time and trying to manage being in school full-time on top of that. But for having limited time and still making it on Deans list, I didn’t do too bad. Hopefully next semester will be even more of an improvement!